BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 20, 2009

Controversy

The media is abuzz today regarding this girl (Miss California) and the way she answered her Top 5 question in the Miss USA Pageant last night:

"When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said “We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

After giving this answer, the media, gays, lesbians, and the pageant world is pissed off. My question is why?

She gave an answer for how she believes, however no one will accept it. It's interesting to me that the people who oppose her answer want people to accept how they believe... Why can't they practice what they preach? It's frustrating that when this topic was put to a vote in Prejean's home state of Califorina via Prop 8, a majority of the state (at 52%) voted against gay marriage.

I understand that homosexuals want the same rights as heterosexuals, but when it is put to a vote and opposed, there isn't much more that they can do. Why crucify this girl for not only being in the majority of California's views, but standing behind what she believes?

5 comments:

HipShooter said...

So I just watched the Youtube of that moment, and I'd like to point out that way more people cheered when she said "marriage is between a man and a woman" than when he said "VT is the 4th state to legalize same sex marriage."
It was a question that asked her to state her opinion and that she did.

Jamie said...

I have to agree- It seems like a double-standard... don't ask if you aren't willing to listen.

Unknown said...

I don't really care one way or the other. People get so up in arms about what these pageant girls say during the Q&A portion. For the most part, they read over a list of possible questions and give half intelligent answers. They don't research the topics, and they're not really educated on what they're speaking about. Whether it be gay rights or world peace, I have little interest in Miss California's answer.

Kate said...

Steph, they aren't just girls in a pageant. It's is a Scholarship Program.

Stephanie Jordan said...

It's all a Scholarship Program until someone flunks out.